Prayers for Susan – A Novena for Families in Silver Spring and Around the World

As many of you know, the incredible Susan of Toddler Planet, also a parent in Silver Spring, is fighting cancer again, for the fourth time in four years. She has fought the disease with two rounds of chemo, radiation, surgeries, medications and has begun a clinical trial. Susan’s side effects have been many.

And the cancer is still there.

Susan’s and my friend, and fellow parent and church member, Colleen of Wrecklamation, had the wonderful idea to begin a Novena, a nine day communal campaign of prayer.  We will begin tonight praying at 8pm-9pm in Our Lady’s Chapel beneath the main church of St. John the Evangelist Church in Silver Spring. And we will be praying there together every night at the same time for the next nine nights.

The link to the novena prayers and readings, suitable for printing at home, is here and below the text of this post. The novena is adapted from one Colleen found on the web which was written by a priest at Texas A&M.

You are invited to follow along at home if you are not able to physically come to the chapel. In fact, Susan’s friends around the world and the world wide web will be praying together too. Please add your intentions and spiritual voice to this group calling for Susan’s cure of cancer and her pain.

You do not need to be Catholic to participate, either in person or at home.  A belief in God and a love for the life of a wife and mother of two boys, age 6 and 4, is truly all that is required. You may also pray in a format that is more comfortable to you and your own faith.

Please leave a comment here if you will add your prayers, and please share this link with others so they may pray too.

susansnoveanhomeprinter

Comments

1. Sunday Stilwell says

I will be joining in with everyone each night from home.

Lord, hear our prayers!

2. Jenny aka jaydub26 says

Im one of the world wide friends – will be joining in at 2pm New Zeland Daylight Saving time

3. Justice Fergie says

This is fantastic Jess. I will be praying at home on the days when I can’t get to the church.

4. Jessica is too kind and gives me too much credit — the novena was actually the idea of someone who was helping with Susan’s RCIA (Rite of Christian Initiation for Adults) process.  I’ve just been happy to help facilitate.  And, I would add (and this is my own idiosyncratic view, not official Church teaching), joining in even if you don’t believe in God, even if you don’t believe in miracles, even if you don’t believe in prayer, is okay too — Stephen King, in _The Stand_ has one of his characters (a God-touched prophetic 100+ year old woman named Mother Abigail) say, in response to another character’s admission that he didn’t believe in God … “That don’t matter…. He believes in you.”  In my opinion, God doesn’t need our belief and love is limitless.

5. I will keep her in my prayers.

6. I shall keep Susan and her family in my prayers. I’m channeling her fortitude to walk in the Avon Breast Cancer Walk in DC in April in her honor.

7. Thrift Store Mama says

Ooh – I love me some rosary in communion/concert with other women.  Too late for today, but I’m there tomorrow and several other nights barring weather and sick children !

8. Zuzana Kelyman says

I am praying with you all!  Formal public prayers are still a little intimidating for me (being a foreigner and a fresh catholic) but I will try to join you some nights, and on those nights I can’t, I will pray privately. We all are praying, even my little kids said a prayer for Susan and her family tonigh! It must work!

9. LeticiaTechSavvyMama says

Hoping to make it over but if I can’t join you in person, please know I’m with you in spirit as I join from home.  (((hugs)))

10. Fifi (Azaria's Mom) says

Sorry to hear she is not well.  We pray that she will be better and soon be on her feet. We pray that Jesus love will cover her and bring healing. I am praying with you all!  I will try to join you some nights,  if I can’t join you in person, please know I’m here thinking of her and asking the Lord for her healing and to be there by her side anointing her with the healing oil.  May God’s love overshadow her at this time. May The Lord hear our prayers that she may feel His presence. And know that He is near that He will intervene Divinely healing her that she may be completely whole restored and made brand-new.

May God bless you all!!!

11. Fifi (Azaria's Mom) says

May God bless you all!!!

12. I lift my prayers in honor of Susan.

13. I will pray for Susan every night, even though I don’t know her in person. I do read her blog (and yours Jessica) daily and will pray for her healing with all my heart. I will try to make it to church at least one of the 9 evenings.

14. Colleen – well said!!!!!!

15. Christian louboutin pumps says

louboutin has recently set up a separate http://www.louboutinspace.com website focused on protecting their brand,[url]http://www.louboutinpumpsspace.com[url] and detailing hundreds of websites that sell fake goods, as well as summaries of legal actions taken,http://www.louboutinspace.com including raids on factories, with photographs and videos of the mass destruction of counterfeit goods.

Trackbacks

1. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Andrea Lague and Jenny Ford, Sunday Stilwell. Sunday Stilwell said: * "I will be joining in with everyone each night from home. Lord, hear our prayers!" http://bit.ly/fSqSpM […]