101 DC Summer Outings, Activities and Day Trips:
Your Summer Plan for Fun!
1. Admire the butterflies in the Wings of Fancy exhibit at Brookside Gardens.
2. Go for a dip in a refreshing local outdoor pool: Montgomery County outdoor pools, Rockville Swim Center, District outdoor pools, Prince Georges County Aqua Access, Northern Virginia Magazine’s public pools guide.
3. Set sail with the Urban Pirates of National Harbor.
4. Play in a sprayground or splash park.
5. Hike a shaded trail with the kids.
6. Navigate the kids ropes courses at Terrapin Adventures.
7. Take a peaceful walk through a gorgeous garden.
9. Try out a new playground! Montgomery County Parks Directory, Fairfax County Park and Playground Finder, Arlington County Playgrounds, Howard County Parks, Prince Georges County Playgrounds, Parks and Playgrounds in The District, Nine Great Playgrounds Throughout the DMV.
10. Take the water taxi between National Harbor and Old Town Alexandria.
11. Ride the carousel and enjoy the playground at Glen Echo Park.
12. Get a hole in one on a local mini golf course.
14. Zipline through the trees at Sandy Spring Adventure Park.
15. Visit the fairy tale village and baby farm animals at Clark’s Elioak Farm.
16. Go berry picking at a pick your own farm.
17. Try night fishing.
18. Take a dairy tour at South Mountain Creamery (admission includes a scoop of ice cream for all and a goodie bag for kids!)
19. Take the tram tour at the Paxtent National Wildlife Preserve.
20. Line up early for $1 movies for kids at Regal Majestic Silver Spring, Regal Bethesda and Regal Potomac Yard.
21. Go see one of the Sizzling Summer Concerts at the Prince George’s Publick Playhouse.
22. Get lawn tickets for an evening show at Merriweather Post Pavilion.
23. Delight in Wolf Trap’s Children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods summer series.
24. Root for The Little Mermaid at Imagination Stage.
25. Experience Jumanji at Adventure Theatre MTC.
26. Head to the Kennedy Center’s Millennium Stage for a free performance.
27. Check out a puppet show at The Puppet Co.
28. Pack up your lawn chairs and see an outdoor family movie.
29. Choose from an array of daily shows at Discovery Theater.
30. Make Saturday morning special with a free Saturday Morning at The National for families.
31. Block off Thursdays in July for Strathmore’s Backyard Theatre for Children.
32. Be wowed by Universoul Circus at National Harbor.
33. Paint your own pottery at a local studio.
34. Beat the heat and enjoy ice skating at our indoor rinks.
35. Sign up for your local library’s summer reading program: Montgomery County Public Libraries Summer Reading Program, DC Public Libraries Summer Reading Program, Arlington County Summer Reading Program, Prince Georges Memorial Libraries Summer Reading Program.
36. Climb the walls at an indoor climbing center.
37. Sign up for an arts and crafts project at your local Michaels store through Michaels Camp Creativity program.
38. Celebrating a birthday or special milestone? Make a fluffy friend at Build-A-Bear.
39. Create and learn at Be With Me The Children’s Playseum in Bethesda.
40. Tour your local recycling center.
41. Zap your friends during a round or three of laser tag.
42. Snuggle in for a summer story time at Noyes Children’s Library.
43. Sign up for a Smithsonian Early Enrichment Center family workshop.
44. Learn about local wildlife at a nearby nature center: Montgomery County Nature Centers, Croydon Creek Nature Center Rockville, Rock Creek Park Nature Center & Planetarium, Arlington County Nature Centers, Prince Georges County Nature Centers, Fairfax County Nature Centers.
46. Sign up for the kids bowl free summer program — kids can bowl up to three games per day and there are lots of local participating bowling alleys! (Shoe rental is extra.)
47. Explore the globe, right here in DC, at the National Geographic Museum.
48. Indulge your sweet chocoholic tooth at Max Brenner Bethesda.
49. Put those pinkies out for a tea party.
50. Eat and play your way around RIO Gaithersburg.
51. Cheer your knight and chew on a turkey leg at Medieval Times.
52. Enjoy a special meal with your kids at The Daily Dish (kids eat free on Mondays!).
53. Meet your favorite fellow parents for a kid-friendly happy hour.
54. Take a free tour of the Oakley Cabin African American Museum and Park.
55. Sort packages and crawl through mail trucks at the Smithsonian National Postal Museum.
56. Explore the Mansion on O Street.
57. Sneak around the International Spy Museum.
58. Tour President Lincoln’s Cottage.
59. Visit the Frederick Douglass National Historic Site in Old Anacostia.
60. Take selfies with the wax figures from history at Madame Tussauds.
61. Ride a historic DC trolley through Maryland parklands at the National Capital Trolley Museum
62. Invoke your inner eighth grader and explore the Top 10 Places to Visit in Washington DC with Students.
63. Head to Mount Vernon – it’s incredible in summer.
64. Discover DC’s National Parks.
65. Talk to the animals at the Smithsonian’s National Zoo.
67. If your kids loved WONDER introduce them to the new (although, more sedate) exhibit at the Renwick: Connections.
68. Book a White House Tour before Mr. and Mrs. O. leave the building.
69. See where the
donuts money is made during a tour of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing.
70. Experience the Smithsonian Folk Life Festival.
71. Take advantage of the free tickets for kids at the Newseum in summer.
72. A visit to the National Aquarium is always a winner.
73. The Walters Art Museum is free and offers interactive gallery materials for kids.
74. “Play with a purpose” is the slogan of the vast and vibrant children’s museum Port Discovery.
76. Catch a Sunday Orioles game and let the kids run the bases afterwards.
77. Find your inner mad scientist at the Maryland Science Center.
78. Walk the plank with the Urban Pirates of Baltimore.
79. Take your soccer star to a DC United game.
81. Cheer on the Nats at one of the Nationals Family Fun Days.
82. Reward all that time in tennis camp with a Washington Kastles pro tennis game.
83. Road trip down to Richmond to see the Washington NFL Team camp. Tickets are free for all fans!
84. Sundays at Bowie Bay Sox games are all about kids with special kids eat free deals, character visits and more.
GETAWAYS & DAY TRIPS
85. Head to the Sweetest Place on Earth, Hershey Park.
86. Head to a nearby beach for a day of sand and surf.
87. Spring for a stay-cation at a local hotel with a pool and kids’ activities, such as the Ritz-Carlton Pentagon City.
88. Build, learn and LEGO-out at Brickfair.
89. Get away to Williamsburg, where you can stay at Kingsmill Resort with its outdoor waterpark and family fun.
90. Get soaked on the water slides and thrilled on the rides at Busch Gardens.
91. Go back in time at Colonial Williamsburg.
92. Book a weekend at Great Wolf Lodge.
93. Be close to the monuments and museums when you staycation at Marriott Metro Center.
94. Ride the rides and waterslides at Six Flags Great America – our own amusement park right here in DC.
95. Take the littles who love Elmo to Sesame Place.
96. Enjoy a family getaway at Lansdowne Resort.
97. Luxuriate in the gorgeous grounds and offerings at Salamander, either with the kids (and dogs!) or without them.
98. Scream your head off on the coasters of Kings Dominion.
100. Save the date for the Flying Circus Hot Air Balloon Festival.
101. Get medieval at the Maryland Renaissance Festival.
Wishing you a very happy summer!