My kids and I had a blast at the opening night of Marvel Universe LIVE! at the Verizon Center. The show was packed with surprises. But this post contains NO SPOILERS. There were many twists and unexpected thrills that I will not give away, because you should truly take your kids to see it. Here are simply the cool factor surprises that made this arena show stand out in live family entertainment.
7. Pyrotechnics – There were more blasts of light, fire and seemingly-real explosions in the arena than I would expect in a two-act show. The kids were stunned.
6. Acrobatics - The actors were top-notch acrobats and gymnasts, executing flips and twists that seemed animated.
5. Motorcycle stunts – Loads of motorcross stunts were an added bonus. I mean, who doesn’t love a growling Wolverine or a saluting Captain America…but now imagine them while popping wheels and catching air.
4. Wire work – We never saw Spider-Man on Broadway, but he and other heroes soared overhead, even while upside down in the classic Spidey squat.
3. Exciting storyline – My son Charlie was impressed by the story, and a book-obsessed 10 year old is a tough crowd. Basically Loki, Thor’s brother and bad guy, wants the Cosmic Cube, the “one ring to rule them all” in the Marvel Universe. It is now in three pieces and some superheroes are in peril, so the entire Marvel catalog and SHIELD team must band together save the world.
2. One liners - One of my favorite elements of action movies is a well-delivered, snarky or clever quip. I have never heard so many of them packed into two hours.
1. Fight sequences – Multi-person martial arts fights scenes featured fabulous choreography. Eve and I were particularly amused by Black Widow’s opening scene as she fights off five guys while talking on a cell phone. She was channeling some serious Scarlett Johansson.
And the bonus, biggest surprise of all:
Silent children – My often restless children were completely engaged throughout and did not pester me for shaved ice or nachos or squabble with each other. (Well, not while the show was in progress.)
We recommend! Tickets are available to this weekend’s shows.
Verizon Center | September 4-7
Remaining show times:
Friday, September 5 at 7:30 PM
Saturday, September 6 at 11:00 AM, 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM
Sunday, September 7 at 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM
Patriot Center | September 12-21
Friday, September 12 at 7:00 PM
Saturday, September 13 at 11:00 AM, 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM
Sunday, September 14 at 1:00 PM and 5:00 PM
Friday, September 19 at 7:00 PM
Saturday, September 20 at 11:00 AM, 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM
Sunday, September 21 at 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM
Tickets can also be purchased at all Ticketmaster outlets, by phone at 800-745-3000, via www.ticketmaster.com, and at the Verizon Center and Patriot Center box offices.
All Ticket prices start at $35.00. Ticket pricing is subject to change based on market demand.
Disclosure: My family and I received media passes and an invitation to a pre-event celebration. No additional or monetary compensation received.